Normally when people don’t write for a long time, they come explaining a few reasons why, my reason is simple, I usually just wait for some bullshit to pile up then I start hitting my keyboard.
Being in the profession I am in, I’m glad to say we know what bullshit is and we can spot it when it’s very far away next to Uganda.
Let’s start here, has any of you read or seen the recent women top 40 under 40 list? If so…
What mediocrity is that, let’s take a step back and look at the list we had for 2012, we had the likes of Caroline Mutoko, in 2014 we had the likes of Lupita Nyong’o, Captain Irene Mutungi, Pilot, KQ The 2015 list is a bloody joke! It has been foolishly researched and is written like a list of noise makers from Atieno Apiyo girls…
View original post 595 more words
UN-Habitat has undertaken to carry out an analytical study to examine the impact of structural change on opportunity of youth employment, poverty and inequality in comparative perspectives of African and Asian countries with the objective of informing public policy discourse and improving the policy landscape for young people.
- Structural Change, Productivity and Growth
- Structural Change, Growth Youth Employment and Job Creation
- International Evidence (China and other Asian Countries)
- Structural Change and African Countries
- Productivity Change and Sectoral Growth
- Structural Change and Sustainable Urbanization
- Structural Change Impact on Urban Poverty and Prosperity (special focus on Youth)
- Structural Transformation in Comparative Asia and Africa Perspectives
- States, Youth and Structural Transformation in Asia and Africa
- Provide substantive guidance in the development of the report methodology with special focus on youth employment, poverty, inequality, productivity, urbanization, prosperity, and social issues in selected cities.
- Based on relevant literature, UN and other Databases, produce long-term trends analysis on the subject of structural change across countries and the relevant regions including cross-regional comparisons;
- Combined with the trend analysis and other objective data, , performing data analysis/interpretation; drafting and editing the report in consultation and collaboration with the other Author(s) involved in the report, the writing team and Report Coordination task force
- Providing feedback to draft outputs, and ensuring quality of final deliverables
- Coordinating the development of the final report, through close management of inputs/feedback from Authors, and the writing team by an agreed upon date
- Submission and presentation of the final report (English) by the agreed date with the Project Coordinator.
- Ensuring regular, structured communications with the Lead Authors and Report Coordination task force
- Providing advice and support to the planning and delivery of consultation events, seminars and youth consultations
- Attendance at consultation events, seminars and youth consultations
- Inception report which spells out a clear methodology, metadata and literature review on Youth and Structural Change in Africa, Asia and Latin America.
- Publication of three papers in major international economic journals by end of the year;
- Completed fully edited and reference report on the “Youth and Structural Change: Comparative Development Prospect of Asia and Africa” derived out of a highly participatory process
- Publication of the report by a recognised publishing company
- Presentation of the report findings before and/or during HABITAT III in 2016.
- First Delivery: end April2015;
- Second Delivery: end June 2015
- Third Delivery: end August 2015.
- Fourth Deliverable: end of November
- Fifth Deliverable: October-December: Final Write-Up
- Abilities and adequate experience of conducting surveys, econometric models constructing and large scale research projects
- PHD in Development Studies, Economics, Statistics or other relevant field
- General adequate knowledge in urbanization and youth issues/realities, structural development, and economy
- Excellent understanding of both qualitative and quantitative survey and data collection methods
- Thorough knowledge of SPSS manipulation or other relevant software
- Clear experience managing teams at the organizational, departmental or unit level
- Experience with International Organizations and United Nations is considered to be an asset
- At least 15 years of relevant experience in the development sector (research, data handling, report writing)
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat.
- For this post, fluency in oral and written English is required.
- Knowledge of another official language of the UN is an advantage.
- Familiarity with United Nations system, processes & good knowledge of emerging UN issues; and
- In-depth knowledge of UN-Habitat mandate and areas of work
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
- CV in the PHP format, accessible through the INSPIRA website (inspira.un.org) Please note, if using INSPIRA for the first time, you need to register in order to activate your account, which will allow you to log in and create a personal History Profile.
- The PHP should be attached to the application as a PDF file.
- Summary CV (maximum 2 pages), indicating the following information:
- Educational Background (incl. dates)
- Professional Experience (assignments, tasks, achievements, duration by years/ months)
- Other Experience and Expertise (e.g. Internships/ voluntary work, etc.)
- Expertise and preferences regarding location of potential assignments
- Expectations regarding remuneration
- Cover memo (maximum 1 page)
How to Apply
P.O. Box 30030, 00100 Nairobi, Kenya
Fax: +254 20 7623080
Position Title: Monitoring and Evaluation Officer
Organizational Unit: FAO Representation Office in Kenya
Duration: 6 months with possibility of extension
- Design, implement and maintain FAO Kenya monitoring and evaluation system, which includes: developing project log frames, developing M&E plans, designing monitoring and reporting tools, templates and guidelines; guiding and overseeing the development of databases and ensuring that Country Programming Framework (CPF) indicators are monitored and reported;
- Develop the capacity of staff and partners on M&E through trainings and guide all staff involved in monitoring on the utilization of monitoring tools and processes to ensure quality control of monitoring and evaluation activities, both at management and operational levels;
- Develop, design, organise and implement and/ or support baseline and outcome monitoring/panel surveys as required; and ensure that evaluations are carried out as planned and recommendations implemented by relevant units;
- Analyse monitoring data and produce reports that show progress in achievement of outputs and outcomes, reasons for not achieving results and recommendations for improvement and lead the process of dissemination and suggest avenues and modalities for implementation of findings and recommendations;
- Plan and establish frameworks for regular monitoring of all FAO Kenya project activities which includes ensuring process monitoring is undertaken with representative coverage and follow-up mechanisms for implementing monitoring recommendations.
- Take lead in the development of FAO Kenya results module with the guidance of FAO Headquarters to ensure that CPF outputs and outcome results are reported accurately and in a timely manner.
- Liaise with FAO technical units and field offices, relevant GoK institutions and service providers on all monitoring issues related to FAO Kenya project activities (i.e. reports, databases, training, etc.);
- Liaise with the Regional Office and HQ to ensure the M&E system is in line with corporate standards;
- Lead the M&E team in the maintenance of M&E systems; including tools, databases as well as the continuous provision of information from monitoring data;
- Represent FAO in the UN system, Government and other forums and coordination structures in matters of M&E starting with the UN M&E team;
- Liaise with communications officer, programme officers and head of technical units to document good practices, success stories and lessons learned for organizational learning and improvement;
- Perform any other duties as required.
- Master’s degree in economics or another social science;
- Minimum 7 years’ experience working in a similar position; more specifically experience in programme design and project cycle management.
- Fluency in English is desirable;
- Good communication, analytical, presentation and reporting skills and an excellent team-player;
- Competency in the use of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint computer packages, as well as with statistical software;
- Proven experience with UN regulations and procedures will be an added advantage.
How to Apply
Candidates are requested to submit a covering letter expressing their interest and suitability for the role quoting the position title and vacancy announcement number VA-002-2015 along with their current Curriculum Vitae and FAO Personal Profile Form (PPF) available athttp://www.fao.org/employment/irecruitment-access/en/.
E-mail is the preferred means of receipt and your application should be sent to:
FAO Representative in Kenya
United Nations Office at Nairobi
P.O. Box 30470-00100
- Serve as primary client business contact
- Prospect for new business
- Assist in the management and activation of key client projects within the Activation and Experiential Marketing department
- Support the project manager in the planning and management of projects at both the regional and national level, seeing projects through from strategy through execution and reporting
- Brief/Inform the project manager on specific projects and help determine requirements including staffing, inventory, production resources, creative, etc.
- Supervise and select project team members including on-site managers, brand ambassadors, etc.
- Assist in developing and tracking of project budgets and billing procedures
- Work with the team to understand the client perspective, maintain client relationships and make sure client needs are heard
- Develop ongoing understanding of the client’s business, products and offers
- Correspond directly with the client on specific projects (as assigned by Manager) to communicate key project elements, ask questions, and facilitate project development
- Meet with and update the team daily to review action items and next steps
- Update status reports and maintains lists of personal action items; work closely with production team to stay apprised of all current projects and next steps
- Participate in weekly agency and client calls; follow up with recaps, both internally and externally
- Work with the team to consolidate briefs into organized overviews for the Creative Teams
- Understand role in supporting the Creative Team as “eyes and ears of client” and understanding what is sellable to the client
- Support the project Manager in ensuring that the client need is solved by the project deliverables
- Stay abreast of current events and/or trends that may affect the clients’ organization
- BA/BS degree in marketing, advertising, communications or related field highly preferred.
- Candidates with diplomas are also encouraged to apply
- 3 years in a communications-related field (preferably marketing or advertising); experience as a Jr. Account Executive / Assistant Account Executive preferred
- VERY organized with a strong attention to details
- Ability to manage time well and tackle multiple things at once without missing deadlines
- Takes ownership of assignments
- Sets high expectations for oneself
- Strong communication skills- written, verbal and listening
- Highly dependable (by peers and managers)
- Personable and team-oriented
- Confident with an remarkable personality
How to Apply
- Diploma / certificate in Montessori Method.
- 1 year experience in Montessori method of teaching.
- Willing to live and work in the bush.
- Very observant.
- Foster a good relationship with parents, other teachers and anyone else involved in the school.
- Valid Driving license class BCE & FG
- Valid certificate of good conduct
- At least 2 year experience working for corporate / company as a rider
- Minimum of 1 year experience riding in Nairobi and good geographical knowledge of Nairobi and its environs
- Customer handling skills
- Must be a quick learner to understand the nature of the business.
- Able to handle challenges and be proactive
- Must have positive energy and attitude towards work
- Be honest, respectful and trustworthy
- Demonstrate sound work ethics and must have good communication skills
- Be efficient, well organized and proven track record of work ethics
How to Apply
- Logistics (restocking/refilling)
- Take delivery of/control the goods on the docks of the warehouse (quantities, quality, guarantees, etc.)
- Unpacking of goods and restocking in the warehouse
- Continuously refilling shelves in the shop, taking into consideration strict shelf live management policies (FIFO, expiry dates, etc.)
- Goods/shelves management: labeling, prices display, anti-theft systems, etc.
- Computerized stock management (including periodic inventory management)
- Daily maintenance of the stock and equipment used
- Cleaning of the shop and the warehouse
- Liaising with manufacturers, distributors and customers
- Arranging carriage or actually delivering goods to the customer or outlet
- Quality control of goods in and/or goods out
- Maintenance of stable conditions or temperatures (e.g. for perishable food items, chemicals or drugs)
- Minimum Diploma in relevant field
- At least 3 years experience in retail or hospitality industry
- Service oriented, sales minded, willing to sell
- Dynamic, flexible and social
- Clean look, accurate and always on time
- Team spirit
- Perfect English knowledge (read/spoken). Ability to write in English is an asset as well
- Retail/sales experience, ideally with international end-customers
- Ability to carry small amount of goods with suitable machines (pallet truck, etc.) is an asset
- Ability to work with basic IT software (PC, SAP, etc.) is an asset
How to Apply